We have expanded our lesson formats to include face to face and hybrid courses - but are still offering our popular online courses!
How do we do remote teaching?
- The system we are using is called Zoom.
- It is a very easy to install and use app that works with computers, laptops, tablets and smart phones. All you need to join a class is to make a free account with your email address, download the app and make sure that you have an available microphone and webcam.
- You will then receive an invite with a link and a meeting ID number that you can use to join the meeting that your teacher has set up.
- Share screen: the teacher can share his or her screen with a single click
- Digital whiteboard: both the teacher and the students can use to whiteboard to write and draw. The whiteboard content can also be saved and shared with the class.
- Breakout rooms: for work in small groups there are breakout rooms that will enable you to do exercises with 2 people or small groups even in an online session. The teacher will be able to check in and give personal feedback in each room.
- Share documents: if there is a document that the teacher wants to share, it can be sent easily through Zoom
- Chat: there is also a chat function that can come in very handy for communication between the teacher and the students
In addition to all this functionality the teacher will also make use of the tried and tested online learning platform KickstartNet which has all the learning materials, extra exercises, sound clips and videos.
What do our students think?
It was very helpful and funny. Although the course was late in the evening I really enjoy having it with Paul. I really like the remote option of the course and I hope in the future, after the crisis, there will be still the possibility to have it online. Despite I should have studied more, I feel more confident in Dutch and I started understanding when they speak to me. For sure I will recommend it, looking forward to see if there will any new online classes!
Maddalena Falco , Voorburg
I liked the course as it was very structured, encompassing all necessary topics like grammer, making conversations, basics. And the class was also organised nicely where in every student gets the required attention and the chance to ask questions.
Nandita Kiran , Leiden
Excellent course and well thought of content. This is my second language course with Kickstart and it has been really fantastic so far. The school managed to adapt quickly to the COVID situation and offer classes remotely that are as good as traditional sit in sessions. Splendid !!!
Yasser , Delfgauw
I think the course is organized well by making good use of technology - in my case that is with the combination of the portal and zoom. I am also glad the class is delivered on sat a.m., which make me possible to join outside of NL even with different time zones. The teacher is professional and explained clearly. the class size of 4-5 students on a zoom class is good - allow good portion of time for each student to participate.
Olivia Lam , Hong Kong
The class is intense but gave me a great opportunity to start learning Dutch. I can understand the basics of Dutch through these lessons which I wanted to learn. The lessons are well-balanced with listening, speaking and writing. I could develop each area. The teacher constructed the course hours well. I wish to continue to the next course when I have time next time. I did not find difficulty to participate online.
Mayumi , Den Haag
Excellent introduction to Dutch. Maarten was an excellent instructor. He was patient and gave us a lot of examples for the various grammar rules. He didn't mind explaining some parts again if we had any doubts. The supplementary material was good. The course was held online due to COVID-19. Looking forward to the next course, Stepping Stone I.
Gaudham , Delft
My Dutch is much better after 2 months with Kickstart. Maarten is a very friendly teacher who makes sure that his students are understanding the material. Online learning was great. We had a grammar and vocabulary game during the last class of the course, I would suggest teachers should play more games like this! It was fun and a nice way to review the material.
Sandra , Den Haag
More ways to study online:
- Private course via Skype or Zoom (English, Dutch and Chinese)
- Online Dutch Writing Courses (NT2 programma II, Dutch Writing Skills)
- Online English Writing Courses (Business and Academic)
- Online Dutch Grammar Refresher Courses ( Brush up your beginner, basic and intermediate Dutch) that can also be taught as a private course. Call or email us for more information.